Tuesday 4 June 2013

Not all audiobooks are equal

Christian Audio has a pretty decent selection of Christian audio books (uh, hence the name). I've downloaded a few books lately because although podcasted sermons are a pretty good length for my commute (I usually get through a Tim Keller or 2/3 through a Mark Driscoll, depending on how ranty he's being), I felt like I wanted something a bit longer to think through.

What I am realising, however, is just because someone is a preacher and has written a book doesn't necessarily make them a good audiobook reader/performer/narrator. Case in point is Francis Chan and his book Crazy Love. While I'm listening to it, I think the content is great, but once I stop listening, I honestly couldn't tell you what it's about (I could say God's crazy love for us, but that would be a superficial cop out). The reason? Chan's delivery is so measured and almost monotonous at times, that my mind wanders and/or I start to get a bit sleepy, which isn't ideal. I had a brief look on youtube for footage of him preaching, and he is animated and interesting. Reading is obviously a different style of delivery to preaching, and just slows him down too much. Also he asks the listener to stop and watch various videos, or to reflect on what he's been talking about, which is harder to do while driving. So I think that one might be a better book to actually read and meditate on.

So this morning I downloaded this month's free book from Christian Audio, The Explicit Gospel by Matt Chandler. Chandler doesn't read the book himself, and the person doing it has a gift for reading in an engaging way. I really enjoyed my drive today because I got to think about God's majesty and creativity. I'm looking forward to the rest of the book.

I recommend downloading it while it's free, even if you don't have time to listen to it now. You might come back to it later. Here's the trailer:


No comments :

Post a Comment