Thursday 21 March 2013

New from old: skirt from dress

I've had this Nobue dress for many years (I bought it in their shop in Paddington, and the dress seems to have outlived the brand...the shop has long gone and I have no idea if it even still exists as a brand). It's never fit me properly in the bust. It was always a case of squash into it and pretend that it fit fine. I love the fabric so never wanted to give up on it, but I finally admitted that it was never going to fit.


With my revived sewing passion I decided it was time to make this something I could wear instead of feeling sad about it whenever I saw its prettiness hanging in my wardrobe.


I cut the bodice off and unpicked the zipper for future use. I then sewed around the top edge, folded it over and sewed it down to form a casing for the thick elastic.


It was a bit harder than I expected to get the waistband flat;  I persevered with it but it's a bit messy and I think I have to make it a fraction tighter.  But it matters not! I now have a lovely skirt.


I also love the way the perspective in the bottom photo makes me look like a giantess in my courtyard. :)

2 comments :