Saturday 4 May 2013

Just ask

I'm up at a camps training weekend for work, taking photos. When I arrived I had a good long chat with a colleague about depression; I feel encouraged that he frequently asks me how I'm going with it. As I've said in the past, it's often not an obvious thing (like a broken arm) that people will remember to ask you about. They forget you have it and then wonder why you want to sleep for 23 hours of the day.

Anyway he said he'd noticed I looked like I was deep in the hole lately. He didn't know about anything much that's been going on with me as he's been overseas. But I really appreciated him noticing, asking, listening and understanding.

So if you know someone who struggles with depression, no matter to what degree, ask them how they're going. You don't have to have solutions or try to fix anything. Don't underestimate how helpful it can be to let someone know you've noticed that they're struggling.

No comments :

Post a Comment