Tuesday 7 May 2013

Product placement: sugru

I started this post a while ago and never got around to finishing it. I wanted to sing the praises of my new favourite DIY thing: sugru. It's "self-setting rubber that can be formed by hand. It moulds like play-dough, bonds to almost anything and turns into a strong, flexible silicone rubber overnight."

I read about sugru on Lifehacker and was intrigued...I loved the website. I loved the backstory. I loved that a woman invented it. It didn't take much convincing for me to order some to try on our dodgy fridge door handle.

When we lived in Maroubra, the way our fridge was positioned meant that it opened against a wall. A few too many careless openings where the handle hit the wall, and it started cracking. There wasn't much we could do about it except tape it up, but the tape got filthy. I even tried to pretty it up with washi tape but it looked lame.



So I bought some sugru. It comes in little foil pouches, and I only needed a tiny little blob to fix each crack.



I kneaded it a little, pushed it on, wiped over it with a wet finger to smooth it out and then just waited for it to cure.

And voila! Fridge door handle fixed (I did wash my hands before doing all this, but tiny bits of lint still got in there...it's not as obvious in real life as in the photos). The result is smooth, durable and clean and the fridge no longer looks like a cast off remnant from a share household.



Now I just have to find other nifty projects to use my other packets for. There are plenty of interesting ideas on the sugru website; people are very inventive.

No comments :

Post a Comment