Friday 16 May 2014

Facebook can be good for something!

I just went to check my bank balance, one day after payday, and was disheartened at how quickly it had drained. My system is that I move all my money the day after payday to where it needs to go - repayments, a separate account that all my bills get autopaid out of, donations to church - and then whatever is left is what I have to use for the rest of the month. And that's not a whole lot.

Almost as soon as I had that grumbling thought, I looked at Facebook and there in the middle of the screen were those familiar words:
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. 
An instant, gentle and loving reminder (and a reason why I like to follow Christians and some Christian orgs because getting reminders like that in the midst of self-obsessed social media can be very helpful! (this post was from Lightstock)). The rest of the quote that was on the screen was an equally soothing balm:
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:1-4
doesn't this look like somewhere you'd like to be?

I am not in the darkest valley at the moment by any means, but I need to be reminded, over and over, that with God beside me, guiding me through this world, I lack nothing in any area of life.

In all the budget hoo-ha this week, it was easy to get distracted by all the woe and negative talk and not knowing who (if anyone) to listen to. The ABC news interviewed three different families about their situations and what the budget changes would mean to them. Two families were worried, but another family on a combined income of $250,000 said they weren't concerned and parrotted the "everyone has to do their bit" line. I grumbled to mum, "well, it's easy enough for them, they earn $250,000 a year".

And yet what am I complaining about?! It's easy enough for me compared to most of the rest of the world! I live a very good life. I have more than just a roof over my head; I have a lovely home. I have the means to do just about anything I want to. Yes there are bills and I am paying off debts (mortgage, credit cards) but I am even going on a short holiday next week and looking forward to it. I am so, so rich.

And infinitely more than all of that, the Lord is my shepherd. I lack nothing!

No comments :

Post a Comment